Ajay Shah writing for the mass media (2019)
- Buy, not build, spacecraft, 9 September 2019. kw = space technology, spillovers, NASA as a contracting organisation and not an engineering organisation, ISRO.
- Measure what you want to manage, 26 August 2019. kw = bad data, stale data, seasonal adjustment, leading indicators, business cycle conditions, growth as seen in the listed companies data.
- Prioritise GDP, not tax revenues, 12 August 2019. kw = taxation of foreign investors, view of investment into Indian assets by foreign investors focuses on post-tax return, capital as a raw material, residence based taxation, mauritius treaty, INR and Nifty markets across the world.
- Is China's loss India's gain?, 29 July 2019. kw = trump, trade war, goods exports from china to the US, rules based globalisation, multinational corporations, policy risk.
- Foreign borrowing by the government: Why and how, 15 July 2019. kw = foreign borrowing by the Indian government, rationale, difficulties, mechanism.
- Parsing the budget announcements, 6 July 2019. kw = budget announcements of 5 Jul 2019, fiscal stability, big state.
- Reduce the taxation of corporations, 1 July 2019. kw = India's corporate income tax is excessive when compared with G-20 or EM peers, taxation of corporations worldwide has declined, three channels of impact, the partial 2015 corporate tax reform.
- Stabilising stressed firms, 17 June 2019. kw = endgame of a stressed firm, if it's health versus if it's not, IBC vs. Resolution corporation, FRDI Bill.
- The strategy and the tactics, 3 June 2019. kw = build state capacity, coherent economic philosophy, rules rather than discretion, coherence across agencies and across time.
- Elections and stock prices, 20 May 2019. kw = macro forecasting of the Indian stock market is weak, politically connected firms.
- India: An agricultural trade powerhouse, 5 May 2019. kw = imports and exports of agricultural products, specialisation, political economy, trade within South Asia, sustained engagement, organisational capital of firms.
- System-scale thinking in finance, 22 April 2019. kw = systemic risk thinking for 2001, 2008, 2019. FSDC, FDMC.
- Better transition planning, 7 April 2019. kw = transition across the elections, policy debt, change in time horizons, US transition planning.
- Making sense of airline troubles, 25 March 2019. kw = creative destruction, planes, market clearing, price elasticity.
- The new world of 4% inflation, 11 March 2019. kw = inflation targeting, wage hikes, impact on borrowing, public finance, INR depreciation, rates of return.
- The survivors cheer firm death, 25 February 2019. kw = zombie firms, exit is good for the survivors, leveraged firms vs. equity financed firms.
- A country is not a company, 11 February 2019. kw = feedback loops, coercive power, size, complexity of government is different from private firms.
- Improving the budget process, 1 February 2019. kw = GDP mismeasurement, implications for budget process, population-scale entitlement programs, one rank one pension.
- Outlook for the next six months, 28 January 2019. kw = weak growth, credit crisis, uncertainty, will hold back output growth for q1 and q2 2019.
- Foundations for health policy, 14 January 2019. kw = prevention is better than cure, incentives of health care providers are wrong.
Back up to Ajay Shah's media page
Back up to Ajay Shah's home page