Ajay Shah writing for the mass media (2018)
- Don't just do something, sit there, 3 September 2018. kw = push factors, US monetary and fiscal policy, 2013 currency defence, floating exchange rate, inflation targeting, icy calm.
- Stock futures in Indian price discovery, 20 August 2018. kw = equity spot, equity futures, leverage, role in price discovery, newsy days versus normal days, incentives for expenditures in price forecasting.
- Hot spots in the bankruptcy reform, 5 August 2018. kw = IBC, bankruptcy reform, RBI 12, RBI 40, four areas for reform.
- How should firms think about currency hedging, 23 July 2018. kw = economic exposure of a firm to exchange rate risk, enterprise risk management, capital controls.
- Prices, fast and slow, 9 July 2018. kw = the one thing worse than a rapid price adjustment is a price adjustment that is artificially slowed down.
- The AI threat to jobs is overblown, 25 June 2018. kw = Strong AI vs. statistical models, nothing deep about deep learning, humans are remarkable.
- RBI's puzzle, 11 June 2018. kw = inflation targeting, macro stabilisation institutions, multiple objectives, exchange rate, public debt management.
- Consequences of poor GDP measurement, 28 May 2018. kw = GDP overestimation from 2012 onwards, consequences for macro policy, budget process, tax targets, government borrowing.
- Concerns about high tech companies, 14 May 2018. kw = high tech, regulation, State capacity in regulators, privacy, competition policy, social media harmful, authoritarian regimes.
- The way forward for PSU banks, 1 May 2018. kw = psu banks, heterogeneity in their organisational capabilities, low-discretion procedures that utilise accounting data, IBC, take ARCs off their pedestal, distressed debt and PE funds.
- Indian currency manipulation, 16 April 2018. kw = exchange rate regime, gains from floating, manipulation, US Treasury, shock absorber.
- Public sector style anti-corruption is not appropriate for private firms, 2 April 2018. kw = Prevention of corruption act, banks, public versus private, corporate governance, power of CEO, competition, feedback loops.
- Dealing with this air pocket, 19 March 2018. kw = problems in the financial system, institutional capability, systemic risk regulation, FSDC, FDMC, the difference between 2018 and 2013, exchange rate regime.
- How to build capacity at RBI, 5 March 2018. kw = what is required in micro-prudential regulation, regulation-making process, executive process, quasi-judicial process, focus.
- First, build a capable RBI, 19 February 2018. kw = PNB, NPA crisis, failures in supervision, public vs private banks, the journey to State capacity at RBI, what to do until that.
- How best to play Finance SEZs, 5 February 2018. kw = Finance SEZs, international financial services, hollowing out of domestic Nifty and rupee trading, SEEPZ.
- Budget 2018-19: Reading between the lines, 2 February 2018. kw = bank recapitalisation, universal health care, bond market, macro/finance reforms, macroeconomic outlook.
- Mutual funds with feet of clay, 22 January 2018. kw = mutual funds, illiquid debt market, redemptions, positive feedback loops, gates.
- The next level of credit analysis, 8 January 2018. kw = transferability, complete contracts, resolvability, cost of capital, Indian credit market.
Back up to Ajay Shah's media page
Back up to Ajay Shah's home page