Ajay Shah writing for the mass media (2020)
- A conversation about current economic issues with Seasonal magazine, 1 July 2020.
- More securitisation will help, 29 June 2020. kw = securitisation, RBI regulations, Harsh Vardhan, Bahram Vakil, market failure, central planning.
- Gearing up for peak Covid-19, 15 June 2020. kw = Covid-19, peak of the epidemic curve, health care, decentralised approach. A related conversation with Bhagwan Chowdhry.
- Health policy for the coming year, 1 June 2020. kw = Covid-19, end of lockdown, public health, testing, health care, private sector, PFM, expropriation, health financing.
- Will nationalising private hospitals reduce our healthcare bills?, an episode on the podcast Everyday economics by Puja Mehra, 30 May 2020. kw = public health, health care, private health care firms, nationalisation, expropriation.
- Economic freedom in agriculture, 18 May 2020. kw = futures markets, warehousing, international trade, domestic trade, legal analysis for national market.
- The de-lockdown needs a better institutional foundation, 4 May 2020. kw = Disaster Management Act, de lockdown, economic policy, coercion, decentralisation, rule of law, morale.
- Will more foreign financing be required?, 20 April 2020. kw = current account deficit for 2020 and 2021, thicket of capital controls, taxation, financial regulation.
- The Epidemic of 2020: Setting course for a V-shaped recovery by Vijay Kelkar and Ajay Shah, in the Business Standard, 7 April 2020 and (in Marathi) in the Sunday magazine `Lokrang' that goes with Loksatta, 12 April. kw = health, macro and finance policy in the shadow of Covid-19 for 2020 and 2021.
- Finance to the fore, 6 April 2020. kw = firms survival without revenue, cash on the balance sheet, triage by finance, financial system capability, stress in Indian finance
- Use the private health care sector, 23 March 2020. kw = Covid-19, testing, health care, public financial management, state contracting with private persons. An 8 minute video summarising this article, on Bloomberg Quint.
- It's the incentives, stupid, 9 March 2020. kw = Yes Bank, incentives, banking regulation, private banks, RBI reform, FSLRC, resolution corporation, bank privatisation.
- Happy birthday, Inflation Targeting, 24 February 2020. kw = inflation targeting, monetary policy framework, RBI, CPI inflation, macroeconomic stability, the role of monetary policy.
- The Science of Economics, an episode on the podcast The Pragati podcast by Pavan Srinath, 12 February 2020. kw = methodology of economics, why is knowledge about Indian economics weak, metis, RCT, journal orientation.
- Dodging a bullet?, 10 February 2020. kw = covid-19, china, india, public health, health care, evolution of pathogens, statistical system, epidemiology
- The Theatre of the Budget, with Vivek Kaul on an episode on the podcast The seen and the unseen by Amit Varma, 9 Feb 2020. kw = budget process, public financial management.
- Analysing the February 2020 budget, 2 February 2020. kw = fiscal policy, private investment, strategy vs. tactics.
- What can fiscal policy do?, 27 January 2020. kw = how to use fiscal policy in this difficult situation, GST, income tax, primary deficit, counter-cyclical fiscal policy, do no harm.
- The Art and Science of Economic Policy, with Vijay Kelkar on an episode on the podcast The seen and the unseen by Amit Varma, 6 January 2020. kw = the Kelkar and Shah book.
- Worry about the trend growth rate, 13 January 2020. kw = trend vs. cycle, macro policy for stabilisation, the growth episode of 1991-2011, why did trend growth decline.
Back up to Ajay Shah's media page
Back up to Ajay Shah's home page