Ajay Shah writing for the mass media (2010)
These are in Financial Express, except when stated otherwise.
- Stock lending coming to life, 1 October 2010. kw = NSE, NSCC, short selling, securities borrowing.
- Breaking with a dysfunctional business model, 27 August 2010. kw = India's stock market reforms, badla, BSE, C. B. Bhave, mutual funds, insurance companies, ULIPs, mis-selling, consumer protection.
- Don't take growth for granted, 14 August 2010. kw = the Indian development project, exuberant spending, corruption, political system, State capacity.
- Outside shareholding and market liquidity: Indian empirical regularities, 31 July 2010. kw = requirement that promoters reduce their shareholding, outside shareholding, stock market liquidity, NSE equity market.
- Monetary policy is easy; Financial regulation is hard, 29 July 2010. kw = transaction-intensive discretionary public services, political economy, monetary policy, financial regulation, principles based regulation, crony capitalism.
- When should a government agency have autonomy?, 23 July 2010. kw = autonomy of central bank and regulators, accountability mechanisms, inflation targeting, central bank independence.
- The importance of the Standard Chartered IDR, 26 May 2010. kw = Indian depository receipt, global diversification, stock futures, performance evaluation of mutual funds, MIFC.
- Addressing the problems of Rupeezone, 12 May 2010. kw = Greece, Rupee zone is probably not an optimal currency area, and what can be done about it. Migration.
- What is the recipe for building financial supervisors?, 4 May 2010. kw = RBI, SEBI, IRDA, FMC, PFRDA.
- The bogey of exports growth, 1 May 2010. kw = rupee appreciation, REER, exports growth, fake exports, export promotion, export-led growth, China.
- SEBI rules and insurance companies, 12 April 2010. kw = SEBI, IRDA, ULIPs, rule of law, FSLRC, FSDC, regulatory coordination, rewriting laws in finance.
- RBI at age 75 (or 96): Old is not gold, 5 April 2010. kw = RBI role and function, creative destruction, 75th anniversary celebration, comparison of RBI and SEBI, reform of monetary policy institutional structures.
- What should the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) do?, 16 March 2010. kw = regulatory coordination, systemic risk, macro-prudential regulation, regulatory independence.
- Implications of the Hang Seng ETF traded in India, 17 February 2010. kw = Benchmark, ETF, Hang Seng Index, capital controls, outflows, home bias, export of financial services, competition.
- What could go wrong if petroleum product prices are decontrolled?, 9 February 2010. kw = Kirit Parikh panel, crude oil price is roughly a random walk, inflationary impact of fluctuations of prices of petroleum products, CPI measurement, monetary policy.
- Obama's left turn, 23 January 2010. kw = US, financial sector reform, Obama speech, Geithner-Summers-Bernanke.
- Are Indian family businesses well run?, 20 January 2010. kw = top-end consulting inputs into medium-sized Indian textile companies.
- How leftist is India?, 8 January 2010. kw = Pew Institute and CMIE Consumer Pyramids data on support for free markets, globalisation and the Left. Generational change.
Back up to Ajay Shah's media page
Back up to Ajay Shah's home page