Ajay Shah writing for the mass media (2021)
- Central control of health care, 27 December 2021. kw = vaccination, covid-19, central planning, market failure, Hippocratic oath of health policy.
- The question of US monetary policy, 13 December 2021. kw = US inflation, global impact of Fed tightening, flexible exchange rate.
- How to regulate cryptocurrency, 29 November 2021. kw = analysis of crypto currency trading in the 4 pillars of financial regulation.
- Gainers and losers from decarbonisation, by Akshay Jaitly and Ajay Shah, 15 November 2021. kw = technological change, induces gainers and losers, professional financial investors, state ownership, negative theta, depreciation of telecom assets, coal miners, coal mines, forests.
- How to decarbonise, by Akshay Jaitly and Ajay Shah, 1 November 2021. kw = central planning, self-organising system.
- Climate justice and India's choice, 18 October 2021. kw = climate justice, ESG, international asset pricing, first world electorate, CBAM, diplomacy, China.
- The Chinese crackdown, 4 October 2021. kw = China model, crypto currency, cathedral, bazaar.
- New hope in private investment?, 20 September 2021. kw = post-2011 difficulties in private investment, turning point in under implementation projects by private firms.
- Time to hustle, 6 September 2021. kw = supply chain, loss of gains from trade, strategies for firms, Indian policy response, export orientation, South asian integration.
- Is monetising public assets a good idea?, an episode on The Hindu Parley podcast with Montek Ahluwalia and Prashant Perumal, 3 September 2021. An associated article in The Hindu. kw = PPP infrastructure, government contracting, the role of the state in Indian infrastructure.
- Why is the IPO process so baroque?, 23 August 2021. kw = IPO process, secondary market, market efficiency, consumer protection, political economy, regulatory capture.
- The Importance of the 1991 Reforms, an episode on the podcast The seen and the unseen with Amit Varma and Shruti Rajagopalan, 9 August 2021. kw = 1991 reforms, institutional foundations of freedom.
- What good are Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITs)?, 9 August 2021. kw = expropriation, policy risk, principal-agent problems, feedback loops, foreign investment.
- Goods exports from India: Some of the gloom is unjustified, 26 July 2021. kw = goods exports, India, China, export pessimism, share in US goods imports, post-pandemic recovery in India.
- Did the central planning end in 1991?, 12 July 2021. kw = 1991 reforms, high growth of 1991-2011, freedom, central planning, RBI, card data storage ban, regulation, regulation-making process, FSLRC.
- Let's step back from the NPA scare, 28 June 2021. kw = Red scare, human interest stories vs. statistics, credit losses, credit market, NPA, restructuring, banking regulation, IBC, bankruptcy reform, bond market.
- How might the lab leak hypothesis matter?, 14 June 2021. kw = WIV, lab leak hypothesis, international relations, Chernobyl, KAL 007, USSR, Xi Jinping, nationalism.
- Distant thunder in the world economy, 1 June 2021. kw = inflation, US monetary policy, capital flows, hysteresis in reopening, inflation targeting, currency policy.
- The way forward for firms, 17 May 2021. kw = vaccination, immunisation through disease experience, exports as the locomotive, global growth, fiscal expansion.
- Winning the war through vaccines, by Amrita Agarwal and Ajay Shah, 3 May 2021. kw = vaccines, self-organising system, incentives, price controls, state coercion, supply response, post-pandemic normalisation.
- The Economics and Politics of Vaccines, an episode on the podcast The seen and the unseen by Amit Varma, 2 May 2021. kw = health, public health, vaccines, public goods, health care.
- Economic outlook in the second wave, 19 April 2021. kw = covid-19, second wave, macroeconomic outlook, export-led growth.
- Should India change its policy toward China?, The Hindu In Focus Podcast, with Ananth Krishnan and Gautam Bambawale, 12 April 2021. kw = India's China problem, Bambawale et. al. 2021 paper.
- Responding to the second wave, 5 April 2021. kw = India, Pandemic, Second wave, variants, vaccines, lockdown, statistical system, measurement, genomic surveillance.
- How India can meet the China challenge, by Gautam Bambawale and Ajay Shah in the Hindustan Times, 27 March 2021. kw = India's China problem, Bambawale et. al. 2021 paper.
- Is global turbulence likely?, 22 March 2021. kw = taper tantrum, US recovery, global exports demand, inflation risk.
- Price controls for vaccines?, 8 March 2021. kw = price controls, depository participants, reaching remote locations, sarvodaya, antyodaya, vaccine vouchers.
A conversation with Govindraj Ethiraj on this.
- Crypto currencies and conventional currencies will both evolve, 22 February 2021. kw = crypto currency, conventional money, EM currencies, strategic thinking.
- Learning from Gamestop, 8 February 2021. kw = market abuse, short squeeze, short sellers, India, financial markets regulation, sequencing in the construction of state capacity.
- The Tragedy of Our Farm Bills, an episode on the podcast The seen and the unseen by Amit Varma, 7 February 2021. kw = health, public health, agriculture policy, farm bills, policy process.
- Analysing the 2021 budget, 2 February 2021. kw = private investment revival, ideological barriers, central planning problem, rule of law problem, resolution, private sector confidence.
- The bottleneck of government contracting, 25 January 2021. kw = make-or-buy, procurement, contract disputes, contract renegotiation, government payments, procurement law, state capacity.
- Peering into 2021, 11 January 2021. kw = macroeconomic conditions in 2021.
Back up to Ajay Shah's media page
Back up to Ajay Shah's home page