Ajay Shah writing for the mass media (2022)
- Dawn of the third globalisation?, 19 September 2022. kw = first globalisation, second globalisation, friend-shoring, China, Russia, impact on Indian firms.
- The possibilities in industrial policy, an episode of The Parley by the Hindu podcast, hosted by Prashanth Perumal with Nagesh Kumar and me, 16 September 2022.
- A new dawn for nuclear energy?, 4 September 2022. kw = small modular reactors, nuclear safety, artisanal vs. industrial manufacturing, energy transition.
- Rethinking the startup economy, 22 August 2022. kw = start up economy, over-exuberance, public equity market is more demanding, DM monetary policy tightening.
- Downstream from the Ukraine war, by Gautam Bambawale and Ajay Shah, 8 August 2022. kw = indian foreign policy and military strategy after the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Chinese threat, increase defence spending, state capacity for defence, fiscal constraints, subsidy expenses.
- Firm internationalisation holds the key, 25 July 2022. kw = exports boom, phase 1, phase 2, replacing china in global value chains, firm internationalisation, deep integration into globalisation.
- Is protectionism compatible with liberalisation?, an episode of The Parley by the Hindu podcast, hosted by Prashanth Perumal with Biswajit Dhar and me, 14 July 2022.
- Does infrastructure now generate growth?, 10 July 2022. kw = causal impact of infrastructure investment on growth, global value chains, low-wage labour, what impedes private investment, why does low employment not generate lower wages, welfare programs, women's labour supply.
- Stopping the inflation, 27 June 2022. kw = US Fed, getting back to 2% inflation, welfare cost, credibility, reshaping expectations, supply chain disruptions, fiscal policy stimulus.
- The stress in global macro, 13 June 2022. kw = energy prices, DM tightening, debt levels and debt dynamics, slow growth, a few things will go wrong, macro policy institutions, firm leverage, government leverage, high risk and illiquid assets.
- Big firms and the problem of intra-India variation of the locale, 30 May 2022. kw = intra-India geographic variation, global/national process and product standardisation, design of firms, local firms.
- Climate Change and Our Power Sector, an episode along with Akshay Jaitly on the podcast The seen and the unseen by Amit Varma, 23 May 2022. kw = climate change, energy transition, price system.
- Root cause analysis for the electricity crisis, by Akshay Jaitly and Ajay Shah, 16 May 2022. kw = heat waves, icecream, price system, coal, electricity.
- Traversing across the hope and fear, 2 May 2022. kw = supply chain problems, macroeconomic instability, household stress, strategy thinking in firms, private investment revival.
- Focus on CPI inflation, 18 April 2022. kw = exchange rate pass through, goods arbitrage, import parity pricing, DM inflation, inflation target, exchange rate regime.
- The NPS challenge, 4 April 2022. kw = Consequences of remnants of the old pension system.
- Three problems for the world economy, 21 March 2022. kw = US monetary policy, wage price spiral, inflation, China, Russia, world economy, home bias, nonlinearities, unexpected outcomes.
- How damaging is freezing central bank assets?, 7 March 2022. kw = central bank balance sheet, foreign exchange reserves, russia, asset freezing, exchange rate regime.
- How did the balance sheets get better?, 21 February 2022. kw = twin balance sheet crises, firm financing, success of the equity market reforms, restructuring, forbearance, bank fragility, pandemic.
- Fund management that you buy, 7 February 2022. kw = nps, fees and expenses, index funds, 5 bps, global diversification, economies of scale.
- Climate change for practical people, 24 January 2022. kw = climate change in India, model risk, consequences in India, pathways to mitigation. natural disasters, food sector reform, financial sector development, migration, land market. strategic thinking.
- Worry about middle India, 10 January 2022. kw = post-pandemic recovery, bread and circuses, credit stress, macroeconomics, stock market.
Back up to Ajay Shah's media page
Back up to Ajay Shah's home page